Thursday 30 April 2009


Mine is the one on the right...

THE MESSIAH
This morning was a very unusual morning. I visited the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, and was allowed to spend some time holding the Messiah Stradivari.
For those who don't know, the Messiah is generally accepted to be the most perfectly preserved Strad in existence. It is in absolutely mint condition, due to the fact that it has been owned entirely by collectors since it left the maker's workshop. Made in 1716, it has almost never been played.
The reason for my being allowed anywhere near it is long and I won't bore anyone with it, but I did take a picture of this 'Mona Lisa of Strads' lying next to my own Strad, which was a horrible and unfair thing to do- although to be honest, from a distance, I thought the Messiah looked like a fiddle out of a factory in France, due to the fact it has the appearance of a brand new violin. When you look closer though it has all the beauty, as well as all the quirks, of Stradavari's violins, and the fact it looks so new is a wonder of the world, since it is actually 300 years old.
It was a truly memorable experience, and I am well aware it will likely never be repeated...

No comments:

Post a Comment